This building, designed by architect Albert Kahn, stood on the corner of Witherell and Montcalm streets. It was built as the Central Branch of the YWCA, or Young Women's Christian Association. It also served as administrative offices for the organization.
The funds for the project were raised in 1927 through the Women's Building Campaign. The structure cost $1.5 million to build, the equivalent of about $22 million today, when adjusted for inflation.
Ground was broken June 20, 1928, during a ceremony at which the wives of John MacKay and Roscoe B. Jackson operated the steam shovel for the ceremonial first scoop.
The building opened in 1929.
It remained open until 1998, when it was demolished to make way for Comerica Park.