This gorgeous bank opened May 31, 1900, at Fort and Shelby streets, and was designed by the legendary New York firm McKim, Mead & White.
State Savings and People’s Savings banks merged in December 1906, creating People’s State Bank.
In 1914, Donaldson & Meier designed an addition that seamlessly extended the building all the way to Congress Street.
In 1943, it became home to Manufacturers Bank, and later hosted everything from an office supply store to a restaurant.
Toronto developer Andreas Apostolopoulos bought the building in 2012 and wanted to raze it to create parking for his Penobscot tenants. Fortunately, he was denied, and businessman Dan Gilbert announced Dec. 15, 2014, that he had purchased the property and planned to save it.