Historic Detroit

Every building in Detroit has a story — we're here to share it

Sherrill School

Construction of the first part of Sherrill School was begun in 1924 and completed in 1925. It was designed by the architectural firm of McGrath & Dohmen. The building cost $214,323, on a site that was acquired at the expense of $47,241. This first section had a capacity of 760 students, and opened in March 1925 to serve 640 students, replacing a temporary school building which had existed on the site for the previous two years.

The building was named for Edwin S. Sherrill (1854-1945), a physician, member of the Detroit Board of Education, and founder of the Detroit Society for Prevention and Cure of Tuberculosis. By the end of 1925 the building's second unit was completed, costing $236,705 and adding 560 students to the building's capacity.

The building's third and final unit, with room for 320 additional students, was completed in 1930 at a cost of $78,878. It was designed by Malcomson, Higginbotham & Trout. In the early 1930s, the school's enrollment peaked at 1,803 students, a majority of whom were white, with about ten percent African American. By 1961 the school enrolled 1,737 students, described as being "cosmopolitan" in background.

The school has a minimal Collegiate Gothic style facade with red brick and limestone accents. It has a long, symmetrical front facade (south elevation) divided into thirds by two square, hip-roofed towers. The central section features a row of arched windows on the first floor. The Center-rear wing includes a cluster of large common areas, including auditorium, gym, auxiliary gym, locker rooms, and cafeteria.

Last updated 21/04/2023