Christ Church is Michigan’s oldest Protestant congregation, having been founded in 1845. Among the members of the church were family names found on street signs across the city, Brush, Campau and Trowbridge, among them.
This Episcopal church, designed in the Gothic Revival style, was dedicated April 9, 1863, and was designed by Gordon W. Lloyd. It stands on East Jefferson Avenue, just east of Interstate 375. Among its stained glass from around the world are windows by the famed Mayer of Munich and Tiffany Studios. Interestingly, there are a pair of mosaics that look ancient, yet were installed in only 1982, having been created from original drawings found in the church archives that had never been executed.
Next door to the church is the Sibley House of 1848, one of the oldest homes in the city. Christ Church bought the home in 1925, and turned it into its rectory in 1946. Today, the house is used for the church’s offices.