Historic Detroit

Lester Hotel

This hotel stood on Columbia and Clifford streets. Details about its history are scarce.

The seven-story building was designed by Joseph P. Jogerst and opened in the fall of 1916. It opened as the Hotel Iroquois, and originally had 80 rooms. By October 1927, it was going by the name Lester Hotel. When it was torn down for one of the Ilitch family’s innumerable surface parking lots behind the Fox Theatre is unclear at this time, but a photo does exist of it from 1976.

We will continue to investigate this lost building of Detroit and will update this history when we have more information.