Our Lady of Sorrows Church
On Nov. 5, 1908, Our Lady of Sorrows went up in flames on Catherine Street near Gratiot.
The congregation rebuilt, opening this church on the southeast corner of Meldrum and Benson on May 7, 1911. It was designed by Peter Dederichs. At the time, the congregation was 4,000 strong, mostly Belgian-Americans.
On April 10, 1963, a fire broke out at the abandoned Briggs plant across the street. The factory was three blocks long, five stories tall and completely consumed. Windblown flames leapt across Benson and engulfed the church.
Remarkably, a 13-foot crucifix survived, and Detroit firefighters bore the cross, carrying it to safety.
Once again, the congregation would rebuild. Today, that church is home to New Liberty Baptist Church after Sorrows merged with Annunciation Church in 2000.