Historic Detroit

Hartz Building

J. Frederick Hartz, the namesake of this building, was Chairman of the board of the J.F. Hartz Company, suppliers of medical supplies and surgical instruments for physicians, nurses, hospitals and sick rooms. Malcomson and Higginson, architects, were issued the building permit for the construction of the building for Hartz. It was to cost an estimated $15,000. Also located in the Hartz Building in 1907 were Silverman Bernd, cigar manufacturer; the Detroit Medical Journal Company; E.C. Moore & son Company, dental specialties; Ideal Belt Company, Illustrated medical Journal Company, and J.H. Bishop Company, clothing manufacturers. The Hartz Building was originally built as a three-story brick building articulated as a single bay. A fourth floor was added in 1926/27 (Alt. permit 7433-A, 11/30/1926) at a cost of $25,000. Stone quoins frame its front facade and bands of seven windows with transoms fill the single horizontal opening per floor above the store level. The first floor was remodeled but still retains its recessed