The SS Eastern States was one of the Detroit & Cleveland Navigation Co.’s Big Six of overnight passenger steamers.
She, like the other five, was designed by master naval architect Frank E. Kirby and built at Detroit Ship Building Co. in Wyandotte, Mich. Though she and her sister ship, the Western States, were originally built for the Detroit & Buffalo Steamboat Co., which was absorbed into the D&C line in 1909.
The Eastern States was launched on Dec. 7, 1901, and featured a 4,200-horsepower, three-cylinder inclined compound steam engine that was fired by six coal-fired Scotch boilers.
D&B had a very short history. It was founded in 1902 to start a new route between Detroit and Buffalo (in cooperation with the C&B Line). Though there had been service between Detroit and Buffalo previously, there had not been an overnight express service and the start of the service might be related to technological advancements: Steamers were now fast enough to make the relatively long route practical for overnight service. The route proved immediately popular, and D&C absorbed the D&B in 1909, ending its history.
D&C put the City of Cleveland III into service in 1907 for service to Cleveland, but when the City of Detroit III joined her in 1912, they were put on the route to Buffalo. The Eastern and Western then switched to the Cleveland run and served that route until the Greater Detroit and Greater Buffalo came out in 1924. The D-III and C-III then moved to the Cleveland run, and the Eastern and Western then ran a service from Buffalo to Chicago, with Mackinac Island as a featured stop.
With overnight steamship travel becoming passe, and more companies choosing trucking to ship goods around, D&C was forced to lay up its fleet at the end of the 1950 season.
On Dec. 12, 1956, the Eastern and her big sis the Greater Detroit were towed out into Lake St. Clair and set afire, burning away their decorative plaster and wooden superstructure in order to make it easier for the wreckers to get at her metal bits.